My internship has flown by. Seriously, it’s been a wild ride. We often talk about how fast things move here at Envol but it’s hard to encapsulate that without living it. Starting my internship working at Envol was pedal to the metal, immediately. Within the first day, I was involved in an Envol workshop for recruiting and employer branding. Within my first week, I was actively working on talent acquisition. As you can imagine, after only three short months here at Envol, it’s a bittersweet goodbye. Picking my top 3 takeaways will be hard but as always, your girl is up for the challenge!
Drumroll, Please…My Top 3 Takeaways from Working at Envol
Without further adieu, I’ve listed out my top 3 takeaways from my time as an intern at Envol. Condensing all of the things I’ve learned to three points is pretty much impossible, but these are the lessons that resonated the most with me:
- Sell on ‘We’, Take Accountability on ‘I’
- A wise woman (hint, it was Brianna) once told me, “Sell on we, take accountability on I”. Humans tend to make excuses for ourselves. I think to be successful, you have to own your work – good or bad. On the flip side, it’s important to remember your work is a shared effort between you and your team.
- Celebrate Your Successes
- Whether it was a new blog post going live or a birthday, we had cake, wine, or sometimes both to celebrate. Recognizing the milestones, regardless of how big or little they were, made a huge difference.
- Say Yes to Everything
- One of my goals this summer was to soak up as much as I could during my internship. That meant saying yes to everything – HR events, daunting tasks, etc. Embracing challenges was my way to ‘fake it ‘til I made it’. In the end though, it was the best way to learn!
Raising a Glass to The Best Boss Ever
In addition to my top 3 takeaways, my all-around-awesome boss/mentor/cheerleader Brianna made this experience what it was. We immediately bonded over our shared love of great food and awesome books (Harry Potter, duh!). There are so many different reasons why I enjoyed my time at Envol, but I think the common denominator was having Brianna supporting me and teaching me the ropes. I couldn’t write about my internship without giving credit where credit is due. I’ve learned a lot from my unicorn-obsessed, wild-about-wine, hardworking boss – much more than just talent acquisition and employer branding!
A Stroll Down Memory Lane
I’ve been lucky enough to do some incredible things during my time at Envol. Some of my stand-out memories include:
- Discovering the world of digital marketing
- Getting a taste of talent acquisition life
- Dipping into content creation and learning how to write a killer blog post (guys, the SEO struggle is REAL but I can confidently say now I know what a meta description is)
- Eating cereal to my heart’s content thanks to the office cereal cupboard
- Breaking out into spontaneous ABBA sing-a-longs in the office with the team because obviously, karaoke is #life.
- Working hard and playing harder at our team retreat in Birch Bay
“How Lucky Am I to Have Something That Makes Saying Goodbye So Hard?”
Just three months ago, I was a totally keen and green BCIT student. I’ve had so much fun learning and growing here, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for Envol. I won’t just be leaving a little trail of Saje’s Peppermint Halo essence behind, I’ll be leaving a bit of my heart too. But this isn’t goodbye forever – mainly because I know where the office is and I’ll pop in to spread cupcake cheer one day. I’m sure I’ll be seeing the Envol team again!