HR & Talent Specialist, Acacia Blake, answers our first ever “Ask a Recruiter” series’ question in today’s blog! Let’s dive in!
Q: What part of the hiring process do job seekers tend to struggle with the most?
A: Finding the right opportunity!
After my undergrad, the workforce was incredibly intimidating. I wanted to establish myself in the HR industry and seek meaningful opportunities that supported my professional development. After two months of job searching, I was left with several rejections and offers from companies that were not a fit for me or my skillset.
When you’re left feeling lost and uninspired with the opportunities on the table, what’s the next step? Today, let’s explore 3 steps you can take to find the right opportunities that align with and drive your career goals, vision, values, and success!
1. Reflect, reflect, reflect!
It’s difficult to pinpoint the right career opportunity when you don’t even know what you’re really looking for. Start with some deep reflection on your values, priorities, and goals to make you happy and set you up for success.
Take a few minutes to read through and answer the reflection questions below:
- What are three things you loved about your favourite job?
- What are three things you hated about your least favourite job?
- How much do you need to make to support your living and personal obligations?
- What salary do you need to drive your financial goals?
- What type of team and work culture would make you excited to come to work every day?
- Where do you see yourself professionally in 5 years? 10 years?
- What training and development opportunities would help you achieve your goals?
- What duties and tasks did you enjoy the most in your last role?
- Is there a role that incorporates the day-to-day tasks you enjoy the most?
2. Research Time!
The best way to determine what the right opportunity looks like is to see what’s already out there! Here are 2 great resources you can use for research:
- Glassdoor is not only a place to find talent. It’s also a great tool to gain insight into potential organizations and what they have to offer. For example, you can look at salaries, perks, benefits, employee reviews, and sometimes even the interview process!
- LinkedIn has thousands of new opportunities posted every day. From these job ads, not only can you check out salary offerings and attain a good idea of what a day in the life will look like at that company. You can also learn more about the company itself by visiting their LinkedIn page and/or website!
The idea is that with this research, you can review job ads for aspiring roles and potential companies to see what piques your interest! Is it the customizable benefits that they are offering? Are you excited about the daily responsibilities? Do you like how innovative and dynamic the industry is? There are so many thrilling aspects to learn about!
3. What’s Next?
After you get a clear idea of what the right opportunity looks like for you, what do you do next?
Here are 2 steps you can take to start actioning your research to land you the right opportunity:
- Resume and Cover Letter TLC!
With a clear vision of what you’re looking for, re-vamp your resume and cover letter to highlight your values and skillset! Not only will this tell hiring managers what you’re looking for, but this will also bring aligned opportunities your way.
Articulating your values, personal mission statement, and career goals on your resume takes practice. Here are a few resources to help you get started:
- Let’s Network!
If you want to join a specific company or hold a niche title, networking is one of the best ways to get your foot in the door! Using your research skills, you can foster connections on LinkedIn or set up coffee chats to see what new opportunities are available and what you need to be successful.
Here are a few resources to check out when preparing for an insightful coffee chat:
Now it’s time to take the plunge! With a killer resume and knowing what it takes to land the right opportunity, start applying today to make your dream position a reality! You got this!
Still have burning questions you want answered? Shoot us an email at [email protected] – we’re here to help! Plus, we might highlight your question in our next “Ask a Recruiter” blog!